Disclosure: Some links in this post are affiliate links. I may get a commission but it's at no cost to you. Read my full disclosure here.
If you’re new to blogging and want to see what your options are for making money with your new website, let me help you out! Many successful people make money by blogging, and quite a few make a full-time income off of it. I’m going to show you the ins-and-outs of monetizing your blog, and I will give you all the information you need to know to get the ball rolling!
As a business, blogging involves hard work and consistency. In other words, if you’re looking to make loads of money instantly, blogging is not the way to go. Sorry!
You will need a strategy, focus and to be consistent with both your content and marketing strategies and a lot of patience!
I know it seems daunting at first to create a new blog and pour your heart into your writing without being able to see the returns right off the bat, but every good thing takes time and dedication. Don’t let it intimidate you, though, because there are tried-and-true solutions to making money with your blog. You just have to find the right advice! I’m here to help with that.
Before Monetizing, You Need to Build Trust
First things first. Before you start monetizing your blog, you need first to build trust with your readers.
In dating, you need to romance and woo your date before you ask them to marry you, right? Yes, yes, you do! Same with blogging – you need to show your readers what your blog is all about and helpful insights before asking them to shell out a dollar for you.
How Do You Build Trust?
How do you woo a new date? You take them to a nice place and have pleasant conversations. You show them the best parts of you (not to be confused with lying or pretending), without giving all you’ve got.
Again, the analogy applies to blogging. Create content that truly draws people in. Inspire your readers, make them want to come back for more. Inform your readers, help them see the true value of your site, and provide excellent content. Give them a reason to want to spend money on your website.
The trick is to do it with passion and sincerity. Don’t be sleazy and lure people in just to cash in. Be honest, be helpful, be authentic. (Yeah, that applies to both blogging and dating).
Now that you’ve got the Dating 101 lowdown, let’s get to how you can make money with your blog, shall we?
Related Post: 10 Myths about Making Money Blogging
8 Ways to Monetize Your Blog
There are several ways to make money blogging, depending on your niche and the business structure of your blog. With that said, here some of the most prominent ways to monetize your blog for any niche:
2. Affiliate Links
3. Sponsored Posts
6. Sell Products
7. Sell Services
8. Create a Membership Program
Okay, let’s explore each of them a little more.
Monetize Your Blog with Ads
Ads, or advertisements, are a public medium for creating revenue on websites and other forums. You can use ads on your website to create revenue by allowing other companies to pay you to put their ads on your blog.
One of the biggest mistakes bloggers make with display ads is to plaster them all over their websites. It’s important not to overwhelm website visitors with a cacophony (ooh, a fancy word I just learned) of ads.
Too many ads can turn away people and make them less likely to visit your site and read your content.
The trick lies in the balance. It’s all about moderation and placement. Have more high-value content than you have ads. Sprinkle display ads here and there when relevant, and it would be a much better user experience for your readers.
Available Ad Programs for Beginners:
Google AdSense: Possibly the most popular ad program is. It is a valuable resource for your site once you get it up and running. Google AdSense uses pay-per-click (PPC) advertisements that automatically match the content of your blog. For instance, if you have a blog about gardening, you may see ads for gardening tools appear.
This is great contextual advertising and makes it less of a turn off to your audience when they visit your website because it matches the niche and their interests.
Google AdSense is great for beginner bloggers because there’s no minimum requirement for website traffic. Before you apply to Google AdSense, make sure you have quite a few published blog posts, and your website is in good standing, as Google does review your website for content and quality.
Media.net: I recently found out about media.net. I signed up for it for this website and already can tell you that it’s a very good alternative to Google AdSense. It’s super simple to set up, the application doesn’t take too long either and it also has no minimum requirements for traffic.
The only downside about Media.net I can see so far is that it doesn’t use PayPal as a payment system, which is what I’m usually used to. They use Payoneer instead, so you’ll need an account with Payoneer to set up payments.
Monetize Your Blog with Affiliate Links
Affiliate marketing is a great way to earn money online, if done right, that is. You can seamlessly include affiliate links into your content and earn a commission for any sales you generate to vendors/companies.
You’re basically promoting someone else’s products or services within your own content. Then, you get a cut of the sale you generate for the seller without additional cost to the customer.
When it comes to affiliate marketing, it’s important to remember a few best practices:
- You must always disclose your affiliate relationship: I’m sure you’ve noticed that most blog posts start with a disclosure statement – that’s the affiliate disclosure, and it’s an FTC requirement.
- Only promote products/services you use and trust: Try to only review and mention products that you have used, trust, and are interested in. It’s difficult to successfully sell a product if you haven’t become familiar with it, and readers will trust you and the product more if they know that you’ve tried it before and liked it.
You can become an affiliate for your favourite products and brands by either directly applying for their independent affiliate program if they have one or by applying to affiliate networks, which give you access to hundreds of brands and vendors all in one place.
Four Affiliate Networks for Beginners:
- Share-A-Sale: One of the most popular and robust affiliate networks out there. They’re home to many famous companies/vendors, and it’s quite easy to get started with Share-A-Sale as a beginner.
- Magic Links: This is a great affiliate network for retail brands in almost any industry. They cover nearly all of the biggest brands out there — think Target, Walmart and even Amazon.
- PepperJam Network: This is a great affiliate network for promoting fashion and retail brands. Perfect for influencers and fashion bloggers.
- ShopStyle Collective: Another great network specifically focused on influencer marketing. It’s a good network for fitness bloggers, health brands, beauty, and fashion.
Does affiliate marketing sound interesting to you? I have another post teaching you how to get started with affiliate marketing. See below.
Related Post: Make Money Online with Affiliate Marketing
Monetize Your Blog with Sponsored Posts
Sponsored posts are quite popular among bloggers and influencers. Often times, brands pay bloggers to write about their brand, product or service – that’s a sponsored post. They may also request review posts in exchange for free products.
Getting these kinds of partnerships can be hard for the beginner blogger, but there are networks that connect influencers with brands and make the process easier.
Sponsored Post Networks:
Clever: a great, straightforward network for campaigns.
Linqia: wonderful network for bloggers who write about parenting, lifestyles, and related topics.
Acorn: with this network, you have access to top brands great because it works like Kraft, Nickelodeon, and P&G.
Izea: a good network with a large number of opportunities for any genre of blogger and any niche.
Monetize Your Blog with eBooks
Many successful bloggers sell their own eBooks and for good reason. Writing an eBook and selling it on your blog is a great way to put in the work once and make money over and over again. It’s also a great way to establish authority in your niche.
Benefits of Selling Your Own eBook:
- Passive income: you write it once and can sell it over and over again for passive income.
- Establish authority in your niche: being published is a great way to build up authority in your niche and show people why they should follow you.
- Self-improvement: as they say, the more you write, the better writer you become. If you love writing your own eBooks can help you improve your talents and become a self-published author.
Once you’ve written your content, you can design your eBooks with Canva. It’s a great platform to design digital products for both designers and non-designers. Alternatively, you can upload your content to Designrr and have an instant eBook designed and formatted for you.
To sell these eBooks on your blog, you use SendOwl – a platform to store and sell your digital products that seamlessly integrates with your WordPress blog.
Monetize Your Blog with Courses
Much like eBooks, creating and selling an online course can be a very successful source of passive income as a blogger. You can help people and monetize your blog at the same time.
The Benefits of Creating Your Own Course:
- Courses can become passive income once they are launched. It can help you retain a reliable income while pursuing your other tasks and dreams!
- Courses can scale your blogging business by setting up a foundation for growth. With proper planning, you can create a solid backbone to protect your blog’s development without being hampered.
- Courses increase your income: When you offer courses, you make money on their profits and build a reliable client base through the reliable use of media, information, and more.
- Courses can also build your list: When people enroll in your course, they subscribe to your newsletter and become part of your tribe. Since they’ve already bought from you, these customers are more likely to become a loyal following who will open your emails and listen to what you have to say.
Platforms for Bloggers to Create and Sell Courses:
Teachable: A popular and respectable platform that allows you to create and sell your online course and seamlessly integrate it with your blog. Teachable offers a free plan for beginners; you only pay transaction fees.
Thinkific: it’s a full-featured platform to create and sell online courses. Unlike most platforms, you don’t pay transaction fees.
LearnDash: LearnDash is an excellent WordPress plugin for online courses with the ability to create multi-layered courses and offering the option to have both public and private platforms for students.
Monetize Your Blog Selling Products
Products go beyond just eBooks and courses. There’s a myriad of different digital products you can sell, and you can sell physical products through your blog too.
Product Ideas to Sell on a Blog:
Printables: There is an endless amount of ideas for printables. They’re cheap, easy to make, and creative! Add quotes from the blog, graphics, your logo, and more and make it your own!
Planners: Everybody loves a good planner, especially the intellectuals that will be reading your blog!
Workbooks: Workbooks are a great way to help your audience take action on your advice.
T-shirts: If you have cool graphics or quotes to print on t-shirts, you can add a shop page to your blog and sell t-shirts.
Stationary: Stationary could be an excellent outlet for featuring your favourite blog quotes and more!
For physical products, I recommend creating an online shop with Shopify and integrating it with your WordPress blog.
If you’re only selling digital products, the simplest thing to do is to create a products/shop page with Elementor and add buy buttons linked to a platform like SendOwl, where you can store and sell your digital products.
Monetize Your Blog Selling Services
Offering services associated with your blog niche can be a great way to spice up your blog and bring in some much-needed cash. The best reason for doing this is that you will be able to keep a detailed portfolio of your work while offering services that are related to your blog.
Working hand-in-hand, your content and services can compound the value you offer to your audience and build you a client base while boosting your authority in your niche.
Service Ideas to Offer on Your Blog:
- Freelance Blogging: You love to write content, most likely if you own a blog, so why not advertise your writing for others as well? This can be a great way to make some extra cash on the side while you bulk up your blog.
- Graphic Design: Great for art blogs and those who have succeeded in making graphics for their blog. If that is you, you can offer your services to other blogs with similar needs!
- Photography: Similar to graphic design, if you have a knack for taking pictures and have already embellished your own site with them, share your photography prowess with others, and make some profit!
- Social Media Management: If you have successfully mastered managing the social media for your own website, it may be a good idea to look into managing others’ websites as well! This can be a great way to hone your skills and get more ideas for your blog.
Monetize Your Blog with a Membership Program
Membership programs turn everyday readers into paying customers! By offering a membership program, readers have the option to pay for additional aspects of your site and business. It is best for bloggers that sell their products or digital content.
In your membership program, you can offer a monthly service or product to your audience who will pay a subscription. It’s a great idea to generate recurring income through your blog.
The Benefits of Having a Membership Program as a Blogger:
- It increases your blogging revenue.
- It cultivates raving fans.
- It can sustain your business and make it easier to understand.
- It builds on a two-way interaction with your readers.
- It diversifies your income sources.
Tools to Help Create and Run a Membership Program:
You can use plugins to add a membership feature to your current WordPress blog, or you can use an all-in-one external platform that can be added to your website.
Membership Content Management Platforms: you can also use all-in-one platforms like MemberGate to manage your members, integrate a shopping cart, create and manage an affiliate program and more. Another popular option is Kajabi. An all-in-one solution can be incredibly beneficial for those who want to create the most appealing site for their serious customers.
I hope that reading this post has helped you set your butterflies at ease. I know it can be daunting to find ways to make money with your blog and even more overwhelming to find just the right platforms to transform your blog into a lucrative source of income, but now you have the tools you need to wade through your confusion!
In this article, we have covered many distinct paths to creating a monetized blog, and we have highlighted many key aspects of how to make money blogging. From eBooks to affiliates to membership programs, you should now be well-equipped with the resources you need to get started.
Now that we’ve gone over some of the best ways to profit from your blog, get out there and blossom into the successful blogger I know you can be! I truly hope that this article has helped you realize just how lucrative blogging can be, and I wish you the best in your endeavours!
Okay, there is a lot of information packed into this blog post! You might want to pin it for later so you can come back as you need it.
Was this guide helpful? Do you still have any questions? Let me know in the comments.